Saturday, January 30, 2016

My Future Decided

     It’s been just over a year since I started as the school librarian. This month, January, begins my second semester as officially the librarian, no more subbing. Who knew when I started college that I would be teaching as a librarian and loving it more each day? I love the days when I just lay on the floor and read to my preschoolers. I love seeing second graders work out problems on their own so that both leave with a book they want. I love talking with fifth grade about what they are reading or what interests them in books.

     I don’t teach secondary classes but I love talking to students one-on-one when they check out books. I love talking with them, laughing, and hearing about their day. I love working on my Project Café Library, which doesn’t involved any coffee in the library. Instead, it’s my goal to create a welcoming atmosphere for students and hopefully rid the space of any study hall impressions. We recently found a couch for the secondary side of the library; it’s an instant improvement!  My head is full of ideas and plans. My co-worker hears me almost daily comment, “I have another idea”. 

Reading area with the new couch.
Extra space between computers by adding a second table.
   
    Who knew this is where I’d be today? I sure didn’t, but God did. In college, I never realized that teaching as a librarian was an option. It wasn’t offered at my school and I just never stopped to consider it. In my last few weeks of student teaching, I listened to Hillsong’s “My Future Decided” frequently.  I was leaving, didn’t have plans of coming back, but I knew my heart was here.  My favorite line from the song is “You know my dreams and You have a plan”.  God knew exactly what His plans for me were, even when I didn’t.  He brought me here and gave me more than I could have ‘asked or imagined’ (Ephesians 3:20).

Today's Facebook memory. At the time I wrote this, I didn't have any plans
made to return. Two weeks after graduation in May I was back, about two
months after that I took the job at SCS, and I've been here since! 
    
    In in the two and a half years since God brought me to Santiago, I’ve been growing and learning, struggling and failing, yielding and surrendering, succeeding and flourishing. I’ve become very conversational in Spanish (my grammar, however, is still a work in progress). I’ve started a Master’s in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) program. I’ve traveled, visited friends, and met new people. I’ve spent hours in nature at waterfalls, beaches, mountains, oceans, and more.

Who knows where I’ll be in two and a half more years? I sure don’t, but God does.


No comments:

Post a Comment