Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Catching Up

It's Tuesday so I'm suppose to write a new blog post, according to the goal I set for myself. Despite the fact that I haven't met that goal for the past three Tuesdays, I'm making a go of it tonight.

If I go all the way back to three weeks ago, February 25 was the Elementary Independence Day Program. While its not so fun to stay at school until past 9pm I really did enjoy the program. I love any chance to learn a bit more about the culture so it was fascinating to see how Dominicans present their present their own culture. I can look at things from an outsider perspective, ask question, or talk to those who have lived here longer. I can even ask Dominicans, but its still a conservation between a Dominican and an American.  The Independence Day Program was planned by our Dominican staff with Dominicans as the intended audience. ( Plus, the gringo staff members.) Each class 1st-5th grade was given a period of Dominican history to portray through dance and drama.  The programs began with Columbus leaving Europe and ended with today's culture. In between, the various cultures and historical events that make up the Dominican were shared. I couldn't catch every detail since it was in Spanish but it was fun to see students acting and dancing--street vendors, domino players, bachata and merengue.

The following week, I did manage to write a short post on Wednesday. If you want the scope on that emotional roller coaster read my post Emociones Mexclada.

This past Tuesday, March 11, I had just returned from my visit down south. Stacy had flown in Thursday night.  We spent Friday in Santiago so she could she a snippet of what I do here. School, dinner, mall, and even taxi rides.  Saturday we head Southeast and made it to SCORE in about 3 1/2 hours.  It takes two buses to get there and the second one doesn't offer luggage room. We just showed up at the station and hoped for the best.  Well, the bus was pretty full by that time but they got us on and stuck Stacy's big suitcase in the front by the door. It was pretty funny watching them move it in and out every time someone got on or off.  I guess sometimes playing up the gringa card can be helpful :)

It was wonderful to spend a few hours at SCORE catching up with friends and hanging out again. It was also nice to have Stacy around as a photographer.  Since leaving SCORE, I've wanted to create a website that would help create business for Leche y Miel Plaza the shops built to support the Lily House ministry. I don't actually know anything about creating a website as that's not often in 1st grade curriculum. Amazingly, God provided a contact how found two people who actually know about websites and all that.  Even more amazing is that they are willing to do all the work for free. A major focus of this site is high quality photos of the plaza shops and their products---cinnamon rolls look sooo much better in a picture.  After that, we had a few hours to spend at the beach before heading over to Freedom.

I've always loved my visits to Freedom International Ministries (five years ago someone from Freedom might have suggested I teach in the DR after college, but I'm sure that's unrelated). I loved seeing this ministry grow from nothing over the past five or so years.  I love the conversation I have when I'm with Freedom people. I don't know how to explain this exactly; its refreshing--to talk with them, to hear how they think, to see their vision, their passion, their plans. I love talking about real topics. I love learning about Central Romana, Edesur, and suddenly I'm engaged in talking about the government. I'm rethinking economic development (Okay, I've actually never studied economic development, but I've really wanted to the past few years.) OH! I haven't even gotten to the children yet!  Snuggling up in my towel with one little girl as we make the windy bus run before school on Monday. Running a center with Chicka-Chicka Boom-Boom during classes. And, oh, recess. I had one little boy on my back almost the whole time as we where taking pictures of everything and everyone. Bonus: when I left Freedom I got to ride the moto taxis to the bus station.

Best part about all that was doing it with STACY!!  It was so much to be together again for a few days.  We were sharing clothes and talking way too late into the night, just like we've always done. by Sunday I was begging (to no one in particular) for a huelga on Tuesday.  I was not ready to go back on Monday.  I come to two conclusions at the end of the trip.  First, my next visit to Freedom need to be at least a week. These two or three day things are way too short. It's hard enough to learn the names of students I see everyday. Every time I think I've gotten the Freedom kids figured out they move and I'm all confused again. Second: I'm super excited about moving in with Stacy for the summer, even more than I was before. The fact that Kate works at Panera is most likely unrelated to that excitement.

1 comment: