Saturday, May 3, 2014

Como Roca Son

The other night while I was fixing a snack I overheard my roommates' conversation about the future, what that might look like, and how God's working.  Again, my minds was brought to Ephesians 3:20, "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us." As I've shared before, God has made this my 'theme verse' since accepting my job at SCS. This verse just keeps popping up on me--in a Bible study or devotional, on a t-shirt, in song, or some other way. 

With this verse in my head, I took my snack back tomy room to begin my devotions.

I've been reading through the book of Joshua, which isn't nearly as exciting as I remembered in being.  Once you get toward the second half it's chapter after chapter of land allotments and boundary lines.  This is Joshua 13:9,  "It extended from Aroer on the rim of the Arnon Gorge, and from the town in the middle of the gorge, and included the whole plateau of Medeba as far as Dibon."  To be honest, it gets a little dull verse after verse, chapter after chapter.  Many of my journal notes for these chapters when something like this: "God what's the purpose of this?  I get that it's helpful for historical notes or creating a map of Israel at that time, but what am I suppose to learn for this?"

I open my Bible to Joshua and turn to the next chapter, Joshua 21.  It starts off just like the past several chapters have.  With Ephesians 3:20 still in my head, I reach the last verse of the chapter.  Joshua 21:45, "Not one of all the Lord’s good promises to Israel failed; every one was fulfilled." In that moment I knew this is what I'm suppose to learn from reading all those boundaries lines. Those lists of cities were the fulfillment of God promises.

"Not one of all the Lord’s good promises to Israel failed; every one was fulfilled."

This is the God that Israel worshipped, a God who keeps his promises.  This is the God who Paul wrote about in Ephesians.  Our God, who has the power 'to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine''; the same power that provided Israel with the Promise Land.

Two days later at church, one of the songs we sang contained the words, "Tus promesas como roca son (Your promises are like rock).

Ephesians 3:20, "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us."

Joshua 21:45, "Not one of all the Lord’s good promises to Israel failed; every one was fulfilled."

No comments:

Post a Comment