Tuesday, May 13, 2014

My #drlife

The past few weeks were a bit of a whirlwind.  One of my roommates had finished her student teaching so we packed as made adventures into her last week and a half as possible.

I love being able to visit so many different places so easily.  That one day I'm at a waterfall in the mountains and a few days later I"m building sandcastles on the beach.  Puerta Plata a nice town on the beach with a cable car that takes up the mountain for a gorgeous view of the city and ocean below.  At the top on the mountain there's a status of Jesus, one of the landmarks of Puerta Plata, trails though  the woods, and supposedly, caves, but we didn't make it to them.

Saturday--Trip to Salto Baigaute in Jarabcoa

Tuesday (Huelga)--Trip to Playa Cabarete




Saturday-Trip to Puerta Plata and the Teleferico


While in Puerta Plata, we rode the moto taxis.  They're just like normal taxis but on a motorcycle, so it's cheaper and funner.  I did get, as one co-worker put it, 'my first' moto burn.  It's very common to have burn on the inside, right leg just above the ankle from the motorcycle muffler.  They say one's not really Dominican until they've had a moto burn. My burn isn't a bad one. It happened so fast I was already off the bike before I even realized I was burned.











Neosporin has been my best friend since last Saturday. As you can tell, I pretty much used up the Neosporin.  The generic brand in the back is almost gone, too.  I stopped by the Farmacia to pick up some more. I was expecting it to be a bit pricey, but that Dominican brand antibacteriano contra quemaduras (antibiotic against burns) was only 80 peso, about $2!!












This most recent Saturday we has a surprise birthday party for a friend from my church here.  As we were putting decorations and preparing the food, I noticed something strange--well strange from my perspective.  I couldn't figure out why the balloons had been kept in the freezer.  Was I confused? Did he really get the balloon out of the freezer? I went to blow some up and picked up the bag. Definitely, frozen. It took me a while but I finally figured out why and asked my friend's mom to be sure. Any guesses? 










Finally, one of my most favorite things about living here--RAINY SEASON!!! It's rainy and sunny all at the same time. In this weather, rain is a welcome chance to cool off rather than a dreary day.  Unlike where I'm from in the States, rain rarely lasts all day here; rains, then out comes the sun.  The sky is the best this time of year!  Check of these to pics from my rooftop.  The first clear blue with white clouds.  The second, taken from the exact same spot, just a quarter turn to the right, giant storm cloud rolling in!  Soon after I took these it began pouring; I grabbed The Return of the King and my blanket and headed for the couch.  I love the sitting by the window, reading, during a downpour.  The rain smells so fresh and the cool breeze encourages snuggling in a blanket, rather than sweating without the blanket. 





























No comments:

Post a Comment